Chromebooks have transformed modern-day classrooms. Instead of writing journal entries in a composition notebook, drawing on chalkboards, or finishing tests and assignments on paper, Chromebooks have unlocked a boundless world of educational tools that students can use. Educators now have access to Google Classroom, G-Suite for Education, Learning apps and much more. What is 1:1 technology?
What is 1:1 technology? “The term one-to-one is applied to programs that provide all students in a school, district or state with their own laptop, netbook, tablet computer, or another mobile computing device. One-to-one refers to one computer for every student.”
The accessibility of technology in schools has increased, prompting school districts to implement Chromebooks in their classrooms. The adoption of technology in schools has changed the way students view learning. Exposing children to various learning methods and tools helps them gravitate towards the ones they are more comfortable with. Here are ten benefits of adding 1:1 Chromebooks in your schools:
1. Personalized Assignments - Technology helps educators select custom assignments for students who are struggling in the classroom. If a student takes an online test, teachers are able to look at the student’s historical testing data to determine if their test scores have increased or decreased over time. Depending on the results, educators can assign projects and activities accordingly depending on the students’ needs.
2. Adaptive Learning - All students learn differently. One student might learn more effectively through videos and pictures, another might enjoy reading text preceded by a comprehension test. Regardless of the students’ learning style, educators are able to easily adapt their materials to what the students’ specific needs are through digital apps and tools.
3. Increased Participation - Using online polls or quizzes gives shy children a chance to participate in activities where they would otherwise not participate. This allows teachers to gauge these students’ competency beyond end-of-course testing.
4. Increased Creative Outlets - There are hundreds of apps students can use to work on projects, study, create presentations, and more. Having these easy-to-use creative outlets gives students more ways to create and learn.
5. Preparation for the Future - Technology is the future. In order to succeed in both school and work, children will be required to understand how to use digital technology. Incorporating tech into every classroom gives children greater access to tech and helps prepare them for their future endeavors.
6. Equal Learning Opportunities - Technology in the classroom allows students of all abilities to learn, ask questions, and engage in course activities. Students needing special accommodations can still participate in class without being singled out.
7. Curriculum Experimentation - Experimentation is a part of the curriculum creation process, but with technology, educators are able to see the instant results of their lessons and make changes as needed.
8. Educator and Student Communication - Educators can communicate with their students through Google Docs, instant messages, emails, and more. These apps assist educators in creating a personalized learning experience. If a student has a question, they can message their teacher for an answer instead of raising their hand in front of the class. This brings teachers and students closer together by giving them a direct and personal interaction point, while also allowing teachers more access to true feelings from their students.
9. Self-Paced Learning - Students are no longer thrown into the madness of a traditional curriculum but have the ability to learn at their own pace. They have the ability to move quickly through course topics they understand and slow down when complex concepts arise.
10. Access to Knowledge - The years of searching for a call number in the library are over. If a student has a question or needs help, it only takes them seconds to find the answer. Giving students increased access to technology gives them access to more information, which can help them in their learning process.
Chromebooks are never going to become the be-all-end-all when it comes to education. There will always have to be a student-teacher relationship in order to be successful. We believe that technology is a highly valuable tool that can help both educators and students in the classroom. Technology is meant to be another flexible learning tool that children have the option to use. It gives students more personalized learning experience and can keep them engaged.